Earnest and Cecil Mecham built the little sugarhouse in 1930. The large sugarhouse was built by Paul and Mary Woods in 1958. Two English Tin evaporators have made their home in the big sugarhouse: a 4’ x 14’ from 1958- 1976 and a 5’ x 14’ from 1976-2004. In January of 2005, we installed a used 4’ x 16’ stainless steel, lead-free solder “Leader Special” you see here. The four cupolas at the roof peak open and allow 98% water to escape as steam and the 2% syrup is “drawn off” from the front finishing pan. Maple syrup is 33.5% water and 66.5% sugar. We burn dry hardwoods to stoke the fire in the firebox. The firebox heats the evaporator and heat is drawn through and under the back flue pan and into the chimney. While the finishing pan is flat, the flue pan is not. It has 20 flues, or “channels,” 8 inches deep and 1⁄2 inch wide and 10’ long. These flues are filled with boiling sap; therefore, the majority of evaporation takes place in this back pan. The holding tanks hold filtered sap from the gathering wagon. The sap enters the evaporator through a pre-heater pipe and pre-heater float box and the boiling begins. The sap travels through the flue pan mazes and then into the syrup finishing pan where it is tested for the proper density using a hydrometer and graded for proper labeling. After filtering the syrup several times, it is stored in five gallon cans in freezers for later bottling and making maple products. We make many PENNSYLVANIA Farm Show blue ribbon maple products from maple syrup – maple cream, maple candy, and maple mustard, maple barbeque sauce, maple sugar crumb, maple cotton candy and maple peanuts.
The outhouse here was built in the mid-1930’s as a result of the WPA (Works Projects Administration) New Deal era of President Franklin Roosevelt. The
WPA created jobs building roads, parks, and public buildings. We transplanted it to Hurry Hill. It is useable. Don’t fall in and don’t forget to flush!!!
(Use the Walking Trail sub-menu above to navigate to other stops on the trail)